This is an extremely popular,well known and classic dish known as the Cantonese lobster noodles. The lobster flavor is sealed and cooked in oil, tossed with fragrant shreds of ginger and spring onions, scattered over on a bed of deep fried noodles or tossed with soft noodles. The sauce soaks into the noodles giving them an aromatic and fragrant flavor.
As for the noodles, there are options between deep fried, crispy noodles and the soft noodles. I personally prefer the soft noodles but if you prefer the crunch and a different way of cooking your noodles then try the deep frying method. Just keep in mind that a lot of oil is required for deep frying.
Note: – Always buy fresh, live lobsters from your fish mongers. As frozen ones just don`t taste the same. The lobster meat is less bouncy, sweet and worse of all soggy.
Killing lobsters humanely:- Put them in the freezer for 12-15 minutes before cutting them.
Always cook the lobster at high temperature. This dish requires heat from the flaming fire to produce the aromatic flavor and best of all the fragrant flavor fills the kitchen. The end result is an absolutely delicious seafood dish. Perfect for special, lavish, extravagant occasions.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
2 live lobsters- 3kg
2 tablespoons groundnut oil
5 thick slices ginger, cut into shreds
4 sprigs spring onion cut into 2 inch lengths
½ teaspoon salt
200 ml boiling water
1 teaspoon chicken powder
3 tablespoons light soy sauce
2 tablespoons shoaxing wine
1 teaspoon sesame oil
4 dried knots (thin) scallop or prawn noodles
1 litre boiling hot water
½ litre groundnut oil
Deep fried or soft noodles coated in sauce
1 tablespoon cold water
1 teaspoon corn flour
- Bring a litre of boiling water to boil on high heat, once bubbling, add 4 dried knots of noodles. Separate them with chopsticks, boil for 1 ½ – 2 minutes. Pour into a colander, rinse under cold running water, drain and set aside.
- Run a bath of cold water in the sink. Add a tablespoon of salt. Submerge the lobsters in water. Clean the lobsters by using a brush. To kill lobsters humanely please refer to above. Chop lobsters into chunks. Chop where the ridges of the body section meets, chop the claws in halves.
- Heat a wok on medium/high heat. Once hot, add oil, carefully add the lobster pieces, mix around for 30 seconds and cover with a lid. Cook for 4 minutes, lift the pieces onto a plate, leaving the oil in the wok.
- Add shredded ginger, spring onion lengths and salt into the oil for 30 seconds. Add water, chicken powder, shoaxing wine, soy sauce, and sesame oil. Mix thickening agents in a bowl, mix well and add into the wok. Boil till the sauce bubbles.
- Add in all the lobster pieces, cover with lid and cook for 3 minutes. Set aside until the noodles are ready.
- If using deep fried noodles– bring a wok to a high heat, once hot, add a litre of oil. Boil till the oil starts to smoke a little. Carefully add the rinsed and very well drained noodles into the hot oil. With a spatula or chopsticks, gently press the noodles into the oil. Cook for 30 seconds. Drain onto kitchen paper. Transfer the noodles onto a large plate. Pour lobster pieces and its sauce over the noodles. Enjoy!
- Using soft noodles- add the rinsed and very well drained noodles into the wok of the cooked lobster. Turn the heat back on at high temperature. Mix, toss the noodles, cover with lid and cook for 30 seconds. Enjoy!