Steamed Quails/Poussins with Orange Glazed Sauce 橙釉汁蒸鵪鶉/普桑
Steamed small birds glazed with an aromatic, sweet sauce really makes the perfect alternative to the usual chicken stir fry’s or the same roasted dinner on Sundays.
This is a fun recipe and you can get the kids involved by getting them to grate or squeeze the orange juice. They will be excited to eat these miniature birds…..kids will love this! Also if you do not like sharing your foods then these are perfect! You can easily eat a whole bird by yourself!
You can find these wee birds at Morrison’s supermarket selling at 2 for a fiver or ask your local butcher.
Note:- Make sure you have enough water inside your large pot for the steaming process. Remember to place a metal rack inside the pot. Place the chicken in the bamboo steamer or have the birds sitting on a large dish for the steaming process.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 45-50 minutes
4 quails/ Poussins
2 orange rinds and its juice
3 garlic cloves
2 star anise
5 grams ginger
100 ml light soy sauce
100 ml unsalted butter
10 ml dark soy sauce
3 tablespoons clear honey
1 tablespoon cold water
1 teaspoon corn flour
• Pound the garlic and ginger into a paste using a mortar and pesto. Grate the rind of 2 oranges, combine it with the garlic and ginger paste. Keep pounding the paste till the rinds also resemble a paste.
• Squeeze orange juice into the paste and add the soy sauces. Pour the paste and sauce contents through a sieve to separate all the paste and rinds.
• Pour the sauce into a pot, add honey and butter. Set aside on the hob. With the separate paste, rub it inside the cavity of the birds.
• Bring a large pot of hot boiling water to the boil. Place in a metal rack. Place the birds in the steamer.
• Baste the birds with 2-3 spoonful’s of sauce. Add in star anise, lid on and steam for 45-50 minutes over a medium/high heat.
• Mix thickening agents in a bowl and add into the pot of sauce. Boil the sauce for 5 minutes on a low heat. Use it as a dipping sauce OR pour over the birds before serving. Enjoy!