Baked Salt Chicken 鹽 焗 雞
Back in the days the older generations would make their home made ovens and bake this chicken coated in sea salt. The salt acts as a thermal clay pot surrounding the chicken, providing moisture for its succulent meat. This Chicken is really flavorsome and not too salty at all.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
1 whole chicken
800-900 grams coarse rock salt
8 grams ginger
2 cloves garlic
1 sprig spring onion
3-4 tablespoons groundnut oil
• Wash chicken, pat dry. Place chicken into an oven dish or a clay pot.
• Pour coarse salt to completely cover the chicken. Place a lid on and oven the chicken at gas mark 6 for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Remove from oven and cool for 20 minutes.
• Brush off any salt still attached to the chicken.
• In a mortar and pesto, pound the garlic and ginger. Cut spring onions into scallions. Place all into a dipping bowl.
• Heat the oil in a pan. Once hot, drizzle over the dipping ingredients. Serve.