Chicken, tofu with Udon 雞 條 豆 腐 乌 冬 面
Soya tofu is known to be nutritious with health benefits. Tofu may be bland and plain for some but if you use the right ingredients to create a marriage of flavours it will be absolutely spectacular.
The original home style chicken, tofu dish is a popular one among the Chinese households. Every family has their own interpretation, whether it is adding pork, beef, shrimps or vegetables creating a versatile dish for everyday consumption.
My home-style version is really simple and light on the palette. I have added udon noodles for a bit of a texture difference. Udon noodles are my prefered choice for this dish as they to soak up all the sauce.
You can now buy udon noodles in the World food section at Morrisons and also at your local Chinese stores. They are sold in it`s cooked state and packaged in clear bag. See the square shape udon in the above picture? As simple as that, just take the package off and cook the udon for a few minutes.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
450 grams firm tofu
4 chicken thighs
3 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons groundnut oil
1 sprig spring onion
200 ml hot boiling water
1 tablespoon oyster sauce
2 dashes white pepper
1 teaspoon chicken powder
1 teaspoon sesame oil
2 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon corn flour
• Combine sauce ingredients into a bowl, mix well and set aside. Rinse tofu in cold water, drain, cut into bite size cubes, set aside.
• Wash thighs, remove skin, bones and discard, cut the meat into thick strips and set aside.
• Use a mortar and pestle, pound the garlic into a paste.
• Heat a clay pot or a non-stick pot on medium/high heat. Add oil, once heated, add garlic paste and stir fry for 10 seconds.
• Add chicken strips, stir fry for 2 minutes. Add in the sauce, reduce the heat to a low setting and boil for 2 minutes with the lid on.
•Add in 2 packet of Udon with 200 ml of hot boiling water into the same pot. Cover with lid and boil on a medium/high heat for 1 minute.
• Mix corn flour with water, add into the pot along with tofu cubes. Cover with lid and cook for 5 minutes. Sprinkle on chopped onions. Serve.
Reblogged this on mamabatesmotel.